Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Way cool

Sometimes, you're just in the right place at the right time.
Last Thursday, I got an email from the LA Dodgers Booster Club (I've been a member since 1997). The Dodgers were looking for some volunteers to help with rehearsals for their home Opening Day celebrations. Would I like to participate?
You becha!
Friday afternoon I get to the stadium and find a group of people waiting for the rehearsal. Turns out that there are two rehearsal groups - one to fill-in for Dodger players and the other for an on-field display.
I got in with the display group.
We went behind the centerfield wall and national flags from 30 different countries were being handed out. I tried to get Japan first (I went to Tokyo in 2007 and saw three JPL games), but it was given to a woman. I got China (I went to Tokyo via Beijing), but when Scotland came up I swapped (my grandfather was born in Dundee).
We rehearsed our routine -- marching along the warning track; stop; wait for a music cue; march towards the infield and line up along the outer rim; wait for some announcements and the national anthem; march back out along the warning track and through the centerfield gate.
The flags were fairly large (the poles were close to eight feet long) so we had to use harnesses.
We repeated the process two more times (with a couple of tweaks - one significant change had us rimming the inner infield grass).
The next day (Saturday) we had another two hour rehearsal. We were rocking.
Monday morning (Opening Day) I get to Dodger Stadium at 9:30 am - three hours before our performance. We were given plain dark-ash tee shirts and got to hang out as the final touches were put on the stadium.
Shortly after we started our final preps - we were already inside the stadium, Dodger owner Frank McCourt came through the centerfield gate. The person with China took a picture with him (his request), then Norway got a picture. I pushed my way up to him and asked if he'd take "one more, with Scotland" He said, "Well, I wouldn't want to anger my Irish ancestors, but OK.
The actual performance started. While we were waiting along the outfield wall, I found myself five feet away from multiple Cy Young Award winner (and starting picture for the visiting San Francisco Giants) Randy Johnson. He's about 6'7 and weighs in at about 6 lbs (well, maybe a bit more, but he's skinny as a rail).
We continued our routine - I stepped on first base as we went into position - in front of over 57,000 fans. Once our part of the ceremony was over, we headed out (and I stepped on third base!)
My moment in the sun was over. An amazing thrill (even though I've been on the field before - I've done First Pitch three or four times, along with a couple of other special events), this was very different.
When I got home, I checked my TiVO of the pregame show and I got about 1.5 seconds air time. I'm also a minuscule blur on the front page of the Long Beach Press Telegram.
And the kicker -- the Dodger Boosters were supposed to be in the "fill-in" group (no actual game day performance!)

4 comments:

  1. I'm trying to think of another phrase, however that was Way Cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to call you "OUT!" for missing second base, but very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I'm impressed you got to go out there on the field and carry a flag as part of the ceremonies, and I'm also impressed you got to almost-meet up with Randy Johnson (think you've sold him short, he's 6'10"!).

    For as many times that I've been to the SkyDome/Rogers Centre, I've never actually been on the field except for when a Home and Cottage Show was going on -- not quite the same thing as being on there during a ball game.

    ReplyDelete