Thursday, April 2, 2009

Pass the Tony, please

Well, Performance Day has come and gone.

We were supposed to have a full dress rehearsal Wednesday night, but had so many interruptions, restarts and stops for just-plain-foolishness new never got through everything. We had to stop after one squirrel jumped off the stairs backstage (screwing around) and twisted his knee (our star drummer, too).

I was supposed to do my death makeup for the first time, but that didn't happen either.

This morning, again, we were scheduled to have a full run-through/dress rehearsal before the afternoon performance. I finally did get a chance to do some makeup (thank the maker for the two girls who helped!) With less than 30 min before our first audience was to show, things were still very much Squirrel City (but, fortunately, our not-so-flying squirrel drummer was fully recovered).

Then, amazingly enough, magic time.

The backstage area was quiet. Everyone hit their marks (well, came close at least) and we finished just a few minutes over the allotted time.

There were a few gaffs (I had one myself -- I missed by crossover cue (with curtains closed) and had to wait for the next -- this meant my makeup artist had about three min (instead of about 10) to get me ready for death. But she got it done, and the gasps from the students when I appeared well-bloodied and pale were most satisfying.

Our Macbeth pulled off a nifty bit of improv when, just before my ghostly entrance, Banquo was delayed (again, makeup difficulties) Lady M, Macbeth, and some of their new entourage and drinking toasts to celebrate their usurping ... Banquo misses his cue, so Macbeth orders "some refills!" It worked.

The kids in the audience really seemed to enjoy the show... lots of cheers (and oohs! for a throat-slit teacher :-))

The evening performance went even better (I hit my cross-over cue), and, all-in-all, I was very pleased (and also very glad the whole thing is over and done with!)

I'll try to get some pics from parents...

No comments:

Post a Comment