Monday, April 6, 2009

A Page from Pepe

After reading Pepe's blog about the week from H-E-double hockey sticks, I thought I'd add my own.

AKA "It was a long year last week."

Monday we had a tough rehearsal. Still lots of squirreliness (as posted).

Tuesday was supposed to be "get home right away" but I got caught in another meeting with our MESA/Science Bowl team (I'm not a Science Bowl coach, but I happened to walk into the teacher's room after school and got drafted.

Wednesday was a double-dip. After the "dress rehearsal", I had to boogie downtown for a major UTLA House of Reps meeting. I had to miss my sub-committee meeting and just got into the main meeting for the start. We had some major debate on the new contract (the House finally voted to recommend a "no" vote to the general membership). We next had more raucous debate on proposing a one-day strike (illegal) to support the pink-slipped teachers. I finally got home just before 10pm.

Thursday was performance day (see below).

Friday I had to get to school extra early (apx 5:30 am) because I was part of a committee hosting our annual Spring Break breakfast. It was a great event, everyone enjoyed the food and camaraderie, but I was on my feet the whole time. We also had to get 10-week report card grades in before noon. After school was another meeting with the Science Bowl team.

Saturday was another early start for the MESA Day finals at USC. I had to be at school by 6:15 am. About a quarter of the kids hadn't submitted all of the paperwork, so I had to chase them down before they got on the bus, then as we were trundling down the 110 I had to put the paper work in order. Then, when we get to the site, they tell me "you can just hold on to the paperwork." Next, 90% of the restrooms were locked -- not good planning with several hundred middle schoolers on campus (not to mention a certain Advisor). By the time I got to the hospitality room I was ready for a major explosion.

But, we did really good in the competitions, taking about a third of the available medals, including sweeps in Geometry, Algebra, and Craftstick bridges.

And today is the first day of Spring Break; real baseball is on the air and Fido did good when I took him for his nail trim. Maybe I'll make it after all.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on surviving the week and the play itself!

    Actually, I wouldn't call it the "week from heLL" but it was an interesting and busy week to say the least. It'll just take time to get used to everything and I think it'll be a good final three months of the school year. I think if I had started this job in September, it might have been a tougher adjustment with all the new learners that come in at the beginning of the year and also the school year would seem to be dragging indeterminably long -- this way, I know at least there's a summer break coming up plus several workshops and events to go to over the next couple months to break up the monotony. There's never anything fun going on in the fall education-wise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... and it's looking good for the Dodgers! Ditto for the Jays who are booting the Tigers all over the diamond behind Doc Halladay's pitching.

    ReplyDelete